Gone are the days when you needed to buy artificial scents or potpourri so your house can smell extra festive. Your home can smell delicious for the holidays with a homemade potpourri using natural ingredients and no artificial home fresheners. It’s perfect for any celebration during November and December! The cinnamon really helps set the mood for Thanksgiving and Christmas with minimal effort.
Our sense of smell immediately reacts to certain scents and your guests will love the combination of citrus and spices. The cranberries in our potpourri recipe also gives it a fruity note.
Is it hard to make your own potpourri?
Making this potpourri is very simple. Instead of cooking it in a crockpot, you can use a simple saucepan or covered pot. The idea is to create a delicious and festive combination of aromas. We like to use citrus fruits such as orange, tangerine, grapefruit and lemon, to which you can also add fresh blueberries or cranberries, a couple of cinnamon sticks, cloves and even a few grains of pepper.
If you prefer to make this natural home freshener in an electric slow cooker, put all the ingredients to cook at minimum heat.
Advantages of making your own holiday potpourri
Here are the advantages of making your own potpourri:
- Customized Scents: You can tailor the potpourri to your personal preference, creating a fragrance that resonates with your holiday memories and traditions.
- Natural Ingredients: Homemade potpourri uses natural ingredients, free from chemicals and artificial scents, making it a healthier choice for your home environment.
- Cost-Effective: Making your own potpourri is often more budget-friendly than purchasing commercial options, especially if you have many holiday gatherings planned.
- Thoughtful DIY Gifts: Homemade potpourri can be packaged beautifully and makes for thoughtful DIY Christmas gifts for friends and family.
- Unique Aromas: You have the freedom to experiment with various combinations of fruits, spices, and essential oils to create unique and captivating aromas.
- Holiday Decor: Potpourri can double as holiday decor, adding a touch of festive charm to your home.
- Easy Preparation: The process of making homemade potpourri is simple and enjoyable, allowing you to engage in a fun holiday activity.
- Personal Touch: It adds a personal touch to your holiday preparations, infusing your home with the scents of the season in a way that store-bought options cannot replicate.
- Sensory Experience: The scent of homemade potpourri engages your sense of smell, evoking holiday memories and creating a warm and inviting ambiance.
- Versatility: You can use the potpourri not only in your own home but also as gifts, party favors, or even as decorations for holiday events and gatherings.
- Eco-Friendly: Creating your own potpourri reduces the need for disposable air fresheners and promotes sustainability.
In summary, making your own holiday potpourri allows you to create a personalized, natural, and budget-friendly way to infuse your home with the scents of the season, while also offering the opportunity to share the holiday spirit with loved ones through thoughtful gifts and decorations.
How to make potpourri for the holidays
- 2 liters (67 fl oz) of water
- 1 sliced orange
- 1 sliced lime
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 12 cloves
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 12 black pepper grains
- Boil all the ingredients together in a covered pot or saucepan over medium heat.
- After the boiling point, reduce heat to a minimum and simmer uncovered.
- To refresh your potpourri and help it last a bit longer, you can add a little more water.
Trust me, your home will smell so delicious and festive without using any chemicals or artificial scents!
Gift It with Love
If you’re looking for great gift ideas, consider packaging your homemade holiday potpourri in a mason jar or a cellophane bag. Attach a free printable gift tag for a thoughtful touch. This DIY Christmas gift is not only a simple way to spread holiday cheer but also a wonderful way to share the joy of the season with your loved ones.
Customize to Your Heart’s Content
Feel free to personalize your potpourri to suit your personal preference. You can experiment with essential oils, like almond extract or fresh rosemary, to create your favorite combination of scents. You can also add dried orange slices, lemon peels, apple slices, fresh ginger, bay leaves, and even whole nutmeg for an extra layer of complexity.
Stovetop Simmering Perfection
The key to an amazing stovetop holiday potpourri is the slow simmering process. Let the blend of citrus, warm spices, and whole spices fill your home with amazing scents that evoke good times and good things. It’s a simple recipe that yields incredible results.
Spread the Joy
This stovetop holiday potpourri recipe is not only a fantastic addition to your own home but also a great gift idea for friends and family. Share the joy of homemade potpourri and let the scents of the season embrace your loved ones this holiday season. Your own home and those of your dear ones will be filled with the essence of Christmas in the simplest and most heartwarming way possible.
Here are other tips and recipes for the holidays:
- 3 Beautiful Ideas for Your Thanksgiving Table
- 7 Money-Saving Thanksgiving Tips
- Recipe: How To Make The Most Delicious Gingerbread
- Easy and Yummy Cornbread Recipe
Lee en español: Cómo hacer popurrí de frutas y especias