When you need an easy hairstyle for curly hair, romantic braids are always a great choice. Instead of just braiding all your hair, you can make a crown with two braids for a chic look that just takes minutes.
It can be quite a challenge to find a hairstyle for curly hair that looks modern, and doesn’t require hot tools. Plus, it’s easy to get in a hair rut, especially in the summer when it’s easy for our curls to look frizzy.
Romantic and bohemian braids were everywhere during NYFW, so this is a trend with true staying power. With the help of Marco Peña, celebrity stylist for Tresemmé, I adapted this trend to create a romantic look that’s perfect for anytime you want to look chic. The best part? No curling iron (or flat iron) is needed!
Romantic Braid Crown For Curly Hair Tutorial
Here are the step-by-step instructions for this romantic and bohemian hairstyle, thanks to Marco Peña’s guidance.
- Wash and condition your hair as usual.
- Moisturize and protect your hair with a pre-styling spray or leave in conditioner. You can spray it on your hands and then apply it on your hair or apply directly.
- If you want to define your curls without sacrificing volume, apply a curly hair volumizing mousse to the roots. Don’t know how much to use? Marco Peña recommends applying the equivalent to the size of a golf ball.
- Dry your hair. For more defined curls, use a diffuser. If you have plenty of time, you can also let your hair air-dry.
- Use a thin comb to do a middle part. This is key to make this hairstyle work!
- Now divide the hair into three equal sections. Start a braid on one side. Repeat on the other side until you run out of space to braid, leaving about 3 inches of unbraided hair at the end. Tie the two braids of hair with a transparent elastic.
- Finally, create a crown with the braids, securing them around your head with bobby pins.
- Finish the hairstyle by loosening up the braids a little so that they look a bit undone. For extra staying power, you can use a little hairspray to prevent flyaways.
What do you think about this curly hair hairdo? I loved how easy it is. I rocked it at a cocktail party that was held outdoors in the Miami heat!
Photos: Nicolas Stipcianos
Curly hair styling tips
Styling curly hair to make it look shiny and healthy requires a little extra care and attention. Here are five tips to help you achieve that:
- Hydration is key: Curly hair tends to be naturally drier, so keeping it well-hydrated is essential for shine and health. Use a sulfate-free, moisturizing shampoo and conditioner designed for curly hair. Additionally, consider incorporating a deep conditioning treatment once a week to provide extra moisture and nourishment.
- Avoid excessive heat styling: Excessive heat can damage curly hair, leading to frizz and dullness. Minimize the use of hot styling tools like flat irons and curling irons. Instead, embrace your natural curls and use heatless styling methods, such as twist-outs or bantu knots, to enhance your curls’ definition and shape.
- Apply a leave-in conditioner: After washing and conditioning your hair, apply a leave-in conditioner specifically formulated for curly hair. This will help lock in moisture and add an extra layer of protection against environmental damage.
- Use a microfiber towel or cotton T-shirt to dry: Traditional towels can rough up the hair cuticles, causing frizz and disrupting the curl pattern. Opt for a microfiber towel or a soft cotton T-shirt to gently squeeze out excess water from your hair. Avoid rubbing vigorously.
- Seal in moisture with oils: Once your hair is dry, apply a small amount of lightweight hair oil or serum to seal in the moisture. Argan oil or any other hair oil are good options. Focus on the ends of your hair, where dryness is most common.
Bonus tip: Regular trims are essential: To keep your curly hair looking healthy and prevent split ends from traveling up the hair shaft, schedule regular trims with your stylist every 8 to 12 weeks.
Remember that each person’s hair is unique, so it may take some experimentation to find the best routine and products that work for you. Patience and consistency will help you achieve the shiny, healthy curls you desire.