It can be quite a challenge to find a hairstyle for curly hair that looks modern, and doesn’t require hot tools. However, New York Fashion Week (NYFW 17) offered all kinds of inspiration for those of us who proudly wear our curls. The Kate Spade New York fashion show was full of braids, which are perfect for curly hair.
Romantic and bohemian braids were everywhere during NYFW, so this is a trend with true staying power. With the help of Marco Peña, celebrity stylist for Tresemmé, I adapted this trend to create a romantic look that’s perfect for a special event such as Premios Lo Nuestro or a cocktail party. The best part? No curling iron (or flatiron) is needed!
Romantic Braids For Curly Hair Tutorial
Here are the step-by-step instructions for this romantic and bohemian hairstyle, straight from NYFW’s catwalks.
- Wash your hair with Beauty-Full Volume Pre-Wash Conditioner and Beauty-Full Volume Shampoo to leave your hair soft.
- Moisturize and protect your hair with Repair and Protect 7 Pre-Styling Spray. You can spray it on your hands and then apply it on your hair or apply directly.
- If you want to define your curls without sacrificing volume, apply 24 Hour Body Volume Foaming Mousse to the roots. Don’t know how much to use? Just the equivalent to the size of a golf ball.
- Dry your hair. You may use a diffuser or just let air-dry.
- Use a thin comb to do a middle part. The part is key to make this hairstyle work!
- Now divide the hair into three equal sections. Start a braid on one side. Repeat on the other side until you run out of space to braid, leaving about 3 inches of unbraided hair at the end. Tie the two braids of hair with a transparent elastic.
- Finally, create a crown with the braids, securing them around your head with bobby pins.
- Finish the hairstyle by loosening up the braids a little so that they look a bit undone. If you want to, apply a flexible hairspray, such as Beauty-Full Volume Flexible Finish Hair Spray from Tresemmé.
What do you think about this curly hair hairdo? I loved how easy it is. I’ll even try this hairstyle with my daughter!
Photos: Nicolas Stipcianos