Choosing the best cream blush can be a bit overwhelming since there are so many options. But don’t worry! I’ve got you covered and created a complete guide so you can choose the best one for your skin and needs.
In recent years, cream blushes have gained immense popularity for their ability to create a natural, radiant glow on the cheeks. Their creamy texture and easy-to-blend formulas make them a go-to option for achieving a fresh-faced, dewy look.
In this blog post, we’ll explore how to choose the best cream blushes, offer tips for applying them flawlessly for a natural finish, and delve into the reasons behind their rising popularity.
The key to mastering cream blush application is practice. A creamy blush blush applied with a light hand is the best way to achieve a glowy, fresh, youthful look.
Take the time to experiment with different techniques, tools, and shades to find what works best for you and complements your unique features.
Tips for choosing the best cream blush
Makeup artists know that different skin types and textures require different formulations. Dry skin types need more hydrating formulas, so look for natural oils in the ingredients list. In general I avoid mineral oil because it makes me break out due to having an oily complexion that needs non-comedogenic ingredients.
- Complement Your Skin Tone: Opt for shades that will brighten your complexion, whether you have fair, medium, or deep skin, which looks great in bright colors
- Undertone Awareness: Pay attention to your undertone (cool, warm, or neutral) to choose blush shades that harmonize with your natural undertones. Cooler undertones suit pinks and berries, while warmer undertones pair well with peachy or coral shades.
- Formulation Factors: Look for cream blushes with a buildable formula that blends easily and doesn’t feel heavy or greasy. Consider options with hydrating ingredients for added skincare benefits.
- Personal preference: Blush sticks can be a great choice because they are so easy to apply, while others prefer a more balm-like consistency. Balms can also be used as a tinted lip balm. Beauty wands with a sponge tip are also on trend. Some brands also offer very pigmented cream blushes in tubes that allow for easy blending with your own fingers or a damp makeup sponge.
How to apply cream blush for a natural look
New cream blushes pack a lot of punch, so a little goes a long way. Think about achieving a buildable wash of color instead of a harsh, unnatural stripe.
Here are a few tips to achieve a natural lit-from-within glow:
- Start with well-moisturized skin. Apply a lightweight foundation or tinted moisturizer for an even base.
- Apply your cream blush in natural light or near a window. This allows you to see the true color and ensures a more accurate application.
- Use clean fingers, a damp beauty sponge, or a stippling brush for application. Dab a small amount of cream blush onto the apples of the cheeks and blend it upward toward your temples.
- Smile while applying cream blush! This helps you locate the apples of your cheeks and ensures the blush is placed on the fullest part of your cheeks.
- Begin with a sheer layer and gradually build up the color to avoid applying too much at once. This technique helps maintain a natural, flush appearance.
- Blend, Blend, Blend! Ensure seamless blending by gently patting and diffusing the blush along the cheekbones, softening any harsh edges for a natural-looking finish using your fingers, a sponge, or a brush. This helps to diffuse the color and avoid harsh lines. If you apply too much product, keep blending with a blush brush or damp Beautyblender.
- Set if you have combination or oily skin. If you have oily skin or prefer a longer-lasting finish, lightly dust a translucent powder over the cream blush to set it in place. Pro tip: Makeup artist to the stars Mario Dedivanovic suggests setting with a powder blush in the same hue of the cream blush. It also gives a more velvety finish.
“I absolutely love a bright blush like the Limited-Edition Mary Kay Lip & Cheek Cream Blush,” says makeup artist Kirin Bhatty, “a few ways to make them more wearable is instead of focusing on the apples of your cheeks when you apply, start at the upper cheekbones and blend into the temples for a diffused watercolor like application.”
Remember, there are no strict rules when it comes to makeup. Feel free to adapt these tips to your personal preferences and style, and most importantly, have fun while experimenting and creating your desired look!
My favorite cream blushes
Here are a few of my personal favorites when it comes to cream blushes (may contain affiliate links that help support my blog at no extra cost to you):
- Makeup by Mario Soft Pop Plumping Blush Veil – Perfect Pink
- Rare Beauty Soft Pinch Liquid Blush – Happy and Hope
- Fenty Beauty Cheeks Out Freestyle Cream Blush – Crush on Cupid
- Urban Decay Cosmetics Hydromaniac Dewy Liquid Blush – Drippin’
- Wet N Wild Megaglo Makeup Stick – Blush
- Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk Matte Beauty Blush Wand – Peach Pop and Pillow Talk
- Jones Road Miracle Balm – Miami Beach
- Ilia Beauty Multi-Stick
- e.l.f. Cosmetics Halo Glow Blush Beauty Wand – Rosé You Slay
- Mary Kay Lip & Cheek Cream Blush in Peach Shimmer
Why are cream blushes more popular than powder blush these days?
The new generation of cream blushes are made in a variety of shades, some even have shimmer so they can also double up as highlighters.
- Youthful Glow: Cream blushes have gained popularity due to their ability to provide a youthful, radiant glow. Their dewy finish mimics the natural flush that occurs when blood rushes to the cheeks, creating a healthy and vibrant appearance.
- Versatility: Cream blushes can double as lip tints or eyeshadows, making them versatile and travel-friendly. The ability to use one product for multiple purposes adds to their appeal. “Don’t be afraid to match your lip color to your cheeks,” says makeup artist Kirin Bhatty. “A monochrome effect will balance the bright cheek!”
- Hydration and Skincare Benefits: Many cream blushes contain moisturizing and nourishing ingredients, offering additional hydration and skincare benefits to the cheeks. This makes them a favorable option for those with dry or mature skin.
- Easy Application: Cream blushes are known for their user-friendly application. Their creamy consistency blends effortlessly into the skin, making them a great option for both makeup beginners and experts seeking a quick and easy way to achieve a natural flush.
Cream blushes have revolutionized the way we approach cheek color, offering a natural-looking flush and a radiant, dewy finish. By following the tips for choosing the best cream blushes and mastering the art of application, you can effortlessly enhance your complexion with a healthy glow.
Embrace the versatility and skincare benefits of cream blushes to elevate your makeup routine and enjoy the sought-after natural radiance they bring to your cheeks.
Ingredients to look for in cream blushes
When it comes to cream blushes, the quality and effectiveness of the these beauty products depend on several factors, including the formulation and ingredients used. While personal preferences and skin types play a role in determining what works best for each individual, there are a few key ingredients to look for that can enhance the performance of a cream blush:
1. Hyaluronic Acid: This ingredient is known for its hydrating properties, helping to retain moisture and plump the skin. Cream blushes with hyaluronic acid can provide an extra boost of hydration to the cheeks, making them ideal for dry or dehydrated skin types.
2. Natural Oils and Butters: Look for cream blushes formulated with nourishing natural oils and butters such as jojoba oil, coconut oil, shea butter, or avocado oil. These ingredients help moisturize and condition the skin, leaving it soft and supple. They can also aid in the blendability and smooth application of the product.
3. Vitamins and Antioxidants: Cream blushes enriched with vitamins, such as vitamin E or vitamin C, and antioxidants like green tea extract or berry extracts, offer added skincare benefits. These ingredients can provide antioxidant protection, help brighten the skin, and promote a healthier complexion.
4. Non-Comedogenic Formulas: If you have oily or acne-prone skin, opt for cream blushes labeled as non-comedogenic. These products are formulated to not clog pores, reducing the risk of breakouts.
5. Lightweight, Buildable Formulas: Cream blushes with a lightweight texture and buildable formula allow for seamless blending and layering. They provide control over the intensity of the color and make it easier to achieve a natural finish.
Remember, everyone’s skin is unique, and it’s important to consider your specific skin type, concerns, and sensitivities when choosing a cream blush. If you have any known allergies or sensitivities, always check the ingredient list and perform a patch test before applying a new product to your face.