Why And How To Clean Your Makeup Brushes
Many of us all too often make a terrible mistake when it comes to our beauty habits: we forget to clean our makeup brushes. Worse still: many friends have confessed that they have never ever washed their brushes! If this is your case, now’s the time to break this bad habit.
How often should we cleanse our makeup brushes? More often than you think. Makeup brushes should be washed at least once a week to prevent them from incubating bacteria. Who wants bacteria-infested brushes touching their face? Not me, for sure. Also, mold may form if the brushes stay wet for hours. That’s why it’s important to let them dry as quickly as possible instead of using a towel that might trap humidity.
Changing your makeup brush hygiene habits pays off. Many women notice that their skin improves and suffer from fewer acne breakouts.
What products should you use to clean the brushes? There are special cleansers and products to wash the brushes. Sephora, MAC and some drugstores sell makeup cleansers that do a wonderful job. You can also use baby shampoo, since it is a mild cleanser that will not ruin the bristles.
How to clean your makeup brushes
- Place warm water in a bowl
- Moisten the brush and rinse off excess makeup
- Put a dime-sized amount of mild brush cleanser or baby shampoo in the palm of your hand
- Gently apply to the brush’s bristles and lather
- Rinse with warm water
- Squeeze excess water
- Repeat the process until the brushes are makeup-free
- Allow the brushes to dry horizontally on a counter.
Mistakes you should avoid when washing your brushes
- Don’t use strong soaps or detergents. You may damage the brushes’ bristles.
- Don’t wet the base of the brush. The bristles can detach from the handle after the glue breaks down.
- Don’t leave the brushes on a towel. Humidity promotes mold.
- Don’t dry brushes vertically because the water can seep into and damage the glue and base of the brush.
When was the last time you washed your brushes? No more excuses!
En español: Cómo y porqué lavar las brochas de maquillaje