Sponsored by Disney
Some of my best family memories took place on a Disney Cruise and I can’t wait until we can all travel again.
It doesn’t matter how old you or your child is, there is something for every single member of your family. From youth clubs for all ages to quiet areas for adults, comfy cabins to top notch entertainment, sailing on a Disney ship is so different from other cruises. I have lost count of how many Disney cruises we have taken!
I honestly can’t wait until we can travel again. I believe in dreaming big, which is why I am already looking into the new Disney Wish, which will set sail in the summer of 2022. During the virtual press event I attended, I was so impressed by how the Disney Cruise Line is bringing to life the stories and characters of Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars adventures like never before.
The Disney Wish will sail its maiden voyage — a five-night cruise to Nassau, Bahamas, and Disney’s private island, Castaway Cay — on June 9, 2022, followed by an inaugural season of three- and four-night cruises to the same destinations from Port Canaveral, Florida.
What to expect on board the Disney Wish
First, experience the first-ever Disney attraction at sea, the AquaMouse. The wild and fun water ride promises to immerse you in “The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse” animated shorts, complete with show scenes, lighting and special effects. Expect to zig, zag and zoom through 760 feet of winding tubes suspended high above the upper decks.
How many pools will there be on the Disney Wish? Families will have more pools, more deck space and more dining than ever before in an expansive district themed to Mickey and friends. The area will feature six pools, which is such welcome news to all cruisers who desperately craved more options to refresh and lounge in the sun.
Traveling with young children? Little ones will delight in an all-new Toy Story-themed district designed especially for families with toddlers and young children. This whimsical water wonderland will include a splash zone, wading pool, family waterslide and smoothie bar.
What about adults? I have mentioned Disney cruises always offer something for everyone in your family and the Wish won’t be the exception. Adults can retreat to Quiet Cove, a peaceful refuge dedicated to lounging, sipping and soaking. This secluded adults-only district will feature a luxurious infinity pool, poolside bar and chic café.
As a huge Star Wars fan, I am also super excited to experience the Star Wars: Hyperspace Lounge, a high-end bar styled as a luxurious yacht-class spaceship. For the first time on a Disney ship, you will embark on a space-jumping tour of the Star Wars galaxy with interactive tasting experiences and signature beverages inspired by destinations such as Batuu, Tatooine and Mustafar. The experience will be amplified by surround-sound audio and a holotube that presents holographic models of nearby ships. At night, this lounge turns into adults only, but families can enjoy the space together during the day.
Dining experiences on the Disney Wish
For my family, no vacation is complete with great (and unique!) dining experiences. That’s why we are so excited about planning what we would do and eat on board the Disney Wish. On our list:
- Arendelle: A Frozen Dining Adventure: Disney’s first “Frozen”-themed theatrical dining experience. It will bring the world of Arendelle to life through immersive live entertainment — featuring all of your favorite characters like Elsa, Anna, Kristoff and Olaf — and world-class cuisine infused with Nordic influences.
- Worlds of Marvel: the first-ever Marvel cinematic dining adventure that will be ideal for all the action-movie fans in your family. Guests will play an interactive role in an action-packed Avengers mission that unfolds around you, complete with a worldly menu inspired by the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- 1923: an elegant dining experience paying homage to the golden age of animation, named for the year The Walt Disney Company was founded. It will offer a tasteful tribute to its Californian heritage with dishes inspired by the state’s unique fusion of cultural flavors.
- Palo Steakhouse: is an evolution of the Palo restaurant that Disney cruisers know and love, now combining the relaxed sophistication of authentic Italian dining with the classic refinement of a modern steakhouse in a genteel setting inspired by Cogsworth, the tale’s majordomo-turned-enchanted-clock. And yes, they will offer the signature Palo chocolate souffle.
- Enchanté by Chef Arnaud Lallement: will offer the most luxurious dining experience on Disney Cruise Line, featuring a gourmet menu crafted by the three-Michelin-starred chef. This romantic and intimate venue evokes the dazzling spirit of the film’s candelabra maitre d’, Lumiere. For those of us fortunate enough to have dined at Remy on board other Disney cruises, this sounds like culinary heaven!
Top 5 Tips for Your Disney Cruise
In my experience, it pays off to plan in advance. Not only can you secure your preferred dates and cabin type, but it also helps with dining, activities, and excursions. For families with younger children I always recommend booking the first dining seating. Here are my top tips for your cruise:
- Book early so you can start planning all your activities. This includes any excursions, especially if traveling with extended family.
- Note any special needs or allergies as soon as you book. Cruise lines need time to make accommodations for special requests.
- Reserve at least one specialty adults-only restaurant. It is SO worth it. Palo and Remy have been outstanding each time we have dined there and I expect Palo Steakhouse and Enchanté to be even better.
- Take advantage of all the free daily activities. That includes the AquaMouse and nightly Broadway-quality shows. By the way, room service is also included.
- Plan outfits for family pictures. Some of the loveliest family portraits I have are from past Disney cruises. Outfits don’t need to be fancy, but make sure the colors don’t clash.
How To Book a Disney Cruise
To book a Disney cruise, check out disneycruise.com. Want to book the Disney Wish? You need to wait a few more days. Bookings open to the general public on May 27, 2021, while Castaway Club members, Disney Vacation Club members, Adventures by Disney Insiders and other select Disney guests will have early booking opportunities beginning May 17.