The Most Delicious Chicken Salad Recipe
Making this delicious chicken salad is so easy! It has apples, grapes and pecans for extra crunch so everybody will devour it. Some know it as the Waldorf Salad, which is said to have been created over a century ago at the fancy Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City.
Chicken salad is a classic and it’s a great filling for sandwiches, wraps or appetizers. You can make it ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for a couple of days in a sealed container.
Just make sure you don’t leave this fancy salad at room temperature for too long before putting it in the fridge because it has mayonnaise and can spoil easily. Also, chicken salad tastes extra delicious if it is served chilled!
Are the pecans optional?
Yes, using pecans or walnuts in this recipe is totally optional.
How long does this chicken salad last?
This salad can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days at the most if it was not left over two hours at room temperature before storing. Food safety experts recommend throwing out any foods made with mayo that are left at room temperature for over two hours.
Can this chicken salad be frozen?
I do not recommend freezing this salad because it uses mayonnaise. However, it does taste so much better chilled.
Why do some chicken salads get watery?
Celery can release extra water if you add it before mixing the chicken with mayonnaise. That’s why I always add the vegetables after I mix the chicken with the mayo.
Is chicken salad gluten-free?
Yes, this salad in itself is gluten-free! Just make sure you serve on its own, with veggies or rice crackers.
Can I make chicken salad using leftover rotisserie chicken?
Yes! It’s a delicious and very efficient way of using chicken leftovers in general.
How long does it take to make chicken salad?
It is so easy that making it should not take you more than five minutes once the chicken has been cooked and deboned.
How to make chicken salad with pecans, grapes and apples
- 6 cups cooked chicken, deboned and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 cup seedless grapes, halved
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 lemon, juice only
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Stir all ingredients together until completely blended.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours or until ready to serve.
- Serve by itself or on crackers, celery sticks, croissants, or your favorite bread.
Remember that if you are avoiding gluten, serve it with veggies or your favorite gluten-free crackers or GF bread.
The Best Chicken Salad
- 6 cups cooked chicken
- 1 cup pecans chopped (optional)
- 1 cup seedless grapes halved
- 1 Granny Smith apple cored and diced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 lemon juice only
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Stir all ingredients together until completely mixed
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours so the salad can chill
- Serve by itself or on crackers, celery sticks, croissants, or your favorite bread