Although steel cut oatmeal takes longer to make, it also takes longer to digest, which means it will keep you (and the kids) feeling fuller, longer. This recipe is really easy to make in advance and portion out for weekdays to either heat up in the morning or put in a container to take on the go and microwave at the office. Adults and kids alike will love this hearty breakfast!
Steel cut oats are slightly less processed than regular old-fashioned rolled oats; they have more protein and calcium than old-fashioned rolled oats and instant oats, and twice the amount of soluble fiber. Each 1/4 cup of steel cut oats makes about 1 cup of cooked oats and contains about 170 calories.
The brown rice syrup in this recipe provides just a little sweetness in addition to the Medjool dates, but also serves as a thickening agent when paired with the dates so the apples don’t get watery when you cook them down. This way, you don’t have to add any refined table sugar at all to sweeten the oatmeal. Although brown rice syrup is still considered a sugar, one serving is two tablespoons of syrup (the same amount used in the recipe here) and when divided by the amount of servings, there’s actually very little added sugar per serving (about 5.5 grams if you divide this recipe into four servings). Most of the flavor comes naturally from the apples, cinnamon and the nutty-tasting topping.
You can store the cooked apple mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups water
- (or prepared to package directions)
- Optional for serving: a few tablespoons of almond milk to moisten the oatmeal and make it creamy
- APPLE CINNAMON COMPOTE
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 3 Medjool <g class=”gr_ gr_190 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep” id=”190″ data-gr-id=”190″>dates,</g> pitted and soaked in the 1/3 cup hot water to soften
- 1 large, firm apple (such as Jonagold or <g class=”gr_ gr_188 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Grammar multiReplace” id=”188″ data-gr-id=”188″>other firm apple</g> suitable for baking) diced
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons <g class=”gr_ gr_194 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Grammar multiReplace” id=”194″ data-gr-id=”194″>ground</g> <g class=”gr_ gr_195 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep” id=”195″ data-gr-id=”195″>cinnamon,</g> or more to taste
- PEPITA TOPPING
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (the green shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- TO MAKE THE APPLE CINNAMON COMPOTE: Heat 1/3 cup water for about 1 minute in the microwave in a glass measuring cup. Add 3 pitted Medjool dates to the hot water to soak for about 10 minutes while you move on to the next step.
- Dice one large firm apple, leaving the skin on.
- After the dates have softened a bit, pour the water and dates into a small food processor or blender and blend until mostly smooth.
- Add diced apple, blended dates, 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup and 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon to a small saucepan. You may need a spatula to get the date mixture out of the blender or food processor cup. Mix with a spoon to evenly coat the apple with the cinnamon and brown rice syrup, and cook over medium heat.
- Stir occasionally. If it begins to boil, reduce heat to low. Cook about 20 minutes or until apples <g class=”gr_ gr_176 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Grammar multiReplace” id=”176″ data-gr-id=”176″>are</g> soft, but not mushy.
- TO MAKE THE OATMEAL: Bring 3 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt to a boil, then add steel cut oats. Stir to wet all the oats, turn the heat down to medium-low and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes, depending on the consistency you like. (Or prepare according to package directions.)
- TO MAKE THE TOPPING: Mix 2 tablespoons pepitas, 2 tablespoons hemp <g class=”gr_ gr_182 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep” id=”182″ data-gr-id=”182″>seeds</g> and 1 1/2 tablespoons ground flaxseed. Store in an airtight container.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE OATMEAL: Spoon portion of oatmeal into a bowl. Add two tablespoons almond milk per serving and stir to make oatmeal <g class=”gr_ gr_177 gr-alert gr_spell undefined ContextualSpelling” id=”177″ data-gr-id=”177″>creamy</g>, if desired. Top with a heaping spoonful of the apple compote and a sprinkle the pepita, <g class=”gr_ gr_179 gr-alert gr_spell undefined ContextualSpelling ins-del” id=”179″ data-gr-id=”179″>hemp seed</g> and <g class=”gr_ gr_178 gr-alert gr_spell undefined ContextualSpelling” id=”178″ data-gr-id=”178″>flaxseed</g> mixture on top.
ALSO READ: Beet, Orange and Carrot Juice with Honey