The best Hamilton quotes will always pump you up and if you haven’t seen this Broadway phenomenon yet, Disney+ will be streaming it starting July 3.
The Disney+ version of “Hamilton” was filmed at the Richard Rodgers Theatre on Broadway in June of 2016 with the original cast. That means you get to see Lin-Manuel Miranda, Philippa Soo, Jonathan Groof, Daveed Diggs, Anthony Ramos, Christopher Jones, and Leslie Odom Jr. with all their talented costars transporting you to American life in the late 1700s. It combines the best elements of live theater, film, and streaming.
The storyline is based on the life of Alexander Hamilton and incorporates scenes from the American War of Independence, which was happening at the same time. It is the story “of America then, told by America now,” and through a mix of different musical genres, has left an indelible mark on American culture, politics, and education.
The lyrics have also provided endless inspiration, which is why we compiled this list of our top Hamilton quotes.
The best Hamilton quotes
- “And there’s a million things I haven’t done. But just you wait, just you wait.” – Hamilton, “Satisfied”
- “I am the one thing in life I can control. I am inimitable. I am an original” – Aaron Burr, Wait For It
- “I’m just like my country—I’m young, scrappy, and hungry—And I am not throwing away my shot.” – Hamilton, “My Shot”
- “We will fight up close, seize the moment and stay in it.” – Hamilton, “Yorktown”
- “If you stand for nothing, Burr, what’ll you fall for?” – Hamilton, “Aaron Burr, Sir”
- “The plan is to fan this spark into a flame.” – Hamilton, “My Shot”
- “Legacy. What is a legacy? It’s planting seeds in a garden you never get to see.” – Alexander Hamilton, “The World Was Wide Enough”
- “ I’d rather be divisive than indecisive, drop the niceties.” – Hamilton, “A Farmer Refuted”
- “Raise a glass to freedom—Something they can never take away—No matter what they tell you” – Mulligan, Laurens, & Lafayette, “The Story Of Tonight”
- “Look around, look around at how lucky we are—To be alive right now” – Eliza and Peggy, “The Schuyler Sisters”
- “You have no control. Who lives, who dies, who tells your story.” – Hamilton cast (Who lives, who dies, who tells your story)
- “I wanna be in the room where it happens” – Burr (Your Obedient Servant)
- “Dying is easy, young man. Living is harder” – Washington, “Right hand man”
- “How you say, no sweat. We’re finally on the field. We’ve had quite a run- Immigrants: We get the job done.” – Hamilton and Lafayette
- “Legacy. What is a legacy? It’s planting seeds in a garden you never get to see”- Hamilton, The World Was Wide Enough
Did we miss any of your favorite Hamilton quotes? Let us know what you think of the film version on Disney+!
Photos: Courtesy of Disney+
Graphics and additional reporting by Natalie Abramowitz