Even before fall arrives, pumpkin spice latte fans are already searching for their favorite drink. Starbucks even rolled out its famous PSL earlier than ever, in August, something its thousands of fans celebrated. This homemade pumpkin spice latte recipe will delight all the PSL fans. The best part? It only takes ten minutes or less to make this yummy homemade version.
If you’ve never had a pumpkin spice latte, it truly tastes of fall. It also reminds me of Thanksgiving and how good freshly baked pies smell. Since we need all the comforting things we can get, I’m sharing this pumpkin spice latte copycat recipe so you can enjoy it at home, whenever you want and regardless of traffic jams and long lines at your local coffee shop. It also goes so well with these homemade Copy Cat Starbucks Pumpkin Muffins.
Plus, dare I say that this is even better than the coffee shop version? It uses real pumpkin puree and you can easily customize with any kind of milk you prefer at a fraction of the cost. And if you like strong coffee, feel free to add an extra shot of espresso! This great recipe will have you making your own pumpkin spice lattes in no time.
What is PSL?
The Pumpkin Spice Latte, often referred to as the “PSL,” is a popular seasonal beverage offered by Starbucks and various other coffee shops during the fall months. Its origins can be traced back to Starbucks’ desire to create a distinctive and appealing drink for the autumn season.
The Pumpkin Spice Latte was first introduced by Starbucks in 2003. The idea for the beverage reportedly came from a group of Starbucks employees who were brainstorming new seasonal drink options. The goal was to capture the cozy and comforting feeling associated with fall flavors and aromas.
The cozy drink combines espresso, steamed milk, and a pumpkin spice-flavored syrup. The syrup typically contains a blend of spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and sometimes actual pumpkin flavoring. The drink is often topped with whipped cream and an additional sprinkle of pumpkin spice seasoning.
The Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte is currently offered at the end of August, weeks before pumpkin season, due to popular demand.
Pumpkin Spice Latte
Makes 1 serving
Total time: 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons pure pumpkin puree
- ½ cup half and half or milk (or soy milk)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (can be brown sugar)
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup strong brewed coffee
- Sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- Additional pumpkin pie spice, for serving
- Whisk together the pumpkin puree, milk, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla.
- To heat in the microwave, place in a microwave-safe container. Cover the container with plastic wrap but vent slightly on one side. Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes or until the milk is steaming.
- To heat on the stove top, place the mixture in a small saucepan and heat while stirring until steaming.
- Remove from heat and whisk vigorously or use a milk frother until the milk is foamy.
- Brew the coffee into a large mug.
- Gently stir in the foamed pumpkin and milk mixture.
- If desired, garnish the coffee with whipped cream and a dusting of pumpkin pie spice.
- • 2 tablespoons pure pumpkin puree
- • ½ cup half and half
- • 1 tablespoon sugar
- • ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- • ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- • ¼ cup strong brewed coffee
- • Sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- • Additional pumpkin pie spice, for serving
1. Whisk together the pumpkin puree, milk, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla.
2. To heat in the microwave, place in a microwave-safe container. Cover the container with plastic wrap but vent slightly on one side. Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes or until the milk is steaming.
3. To heat over the oven, place the mixture in a small saucepan and heat while stirring until steaming.
4. Remove from heat and whisk vigorously or use a milk frother until the milk is foamy.
5. Brew the coffee into a large mug.
6. Gently stir in the foamed pumpkin and milk mixture.
7. If desired, garnish the coffee with whipped cream and a dusting of pumpkin pie spice.
Let me know if you try this DIY Pumpkin Spice Latte and enjoyed it! Happy fall, my friend.
Yummy variations to this classic PSL recipe
The main advantage of making your own homemade latte, is that it’s extremely easy to customize. Here are some variations to try:
- Add a teaspoon of maple syrup
- When serving, add a cinnamon stick as a delicious final touch
- Use unsweetened almond milk for a healthier and dairy-free version. You may also use oat milk.
- Top with ground cinnamon instead of or on top of extra pumpkin pie spice
More delicious beverages
- How to make the most delicious Hot Chocolate for Frozen 2 fans
- How to make Dalgona or whipped coffee in just minutes
- Dalgona style whipped strawberry topping
- 5 Amazing Benefits of Smoothies (and 6 Easy Recipes)