The Día de los Muertos is a holiday dedicated to remembering friends and family who have passed, and Mexican families build altars to commemorate the lives of those they cared for very deeply. These altars are usually constructed of several levels and feature items from the person being honored – books, hats, toys, or other personal items are among the most popular. Other staple items include the departed’s favorite foods, and altars are topped with the cempasúchil, the traditional holiday flower.
Impress your friends by following the steps in our beautiful and easy Day of the Dead makeup tutorial.
Easy Catrina or Day of The Dead makeup and hair tutorial
- Wash and condition your hair. Try Dove Pure Care Dry Oil Shampoo and Conditioner to leave your hair silky and smooth.
- Apply white makeup on your face (leaving out your eyes).
- Apply black kohl, eyeshadow or face paint around your eyes. You can also use a blue eyeshadow underneath your lower lash line.
- Use a black eyeliner to create black lines from your mouth to your cheeks to elongate your lips.
- With red lipstick, paint an upside down elongated heart on your nose and paint your lips red.
- Apply 2-4 pumps of Dove Pure Care Dry Oil to help protect your hair and blow dry with your fingers or using a round brush to give it volume.
- Part your hair in two sections down the middle (as if you were going to make two pigtails). Place a folded scarf along your neck and pin it to the bottom of your head, leaving two equal pieces along each side of your shoulders.
- Braid one side of your head by intertwining the scarf in your braid and using it as the third strand. Braid the other side in the same way.
- Bring one braid alongside your face and do the same for the other. Secure at the top with bobby pins.
- If you want extra glitz and glam, add flowers to the top of your head and secure with bobby pins.
Photos: courtesy of Dove