New York City with Kids: 5 Must-Do Holiday Activities
NYC is beautiful year round, but the holiday season in New York City is magical. While there is plenty to do for free, there are some shows that deserve to be checked out, for their ability to provoke emotions, make you laugh and get you in the holiday spirit. Here are my top five picks this holiday season:
1. Holiday Train Show at the NY Botanical Garden: The New York Botanical Garden Holiday Train Show has been around for over 20 years. There are real trains that run through a replica of NYC made of natural materials such as bark. There are over 150 landmark buildings like the Statue of Liberty and Brooklyn Bridge and more. The Train Show will be on display until January 19th.
2. Gingerbread Lane at the NY Hall of Science: Last year, the Gingerbread Lane was named the World’s Largest Gingerbread Village in the world by Guinness World Records. The Gingerbread Lane is made with edible ingredients like gingerbread, royal icing and candy. There are gingerbread house making workshops at the museum. Admission is free with NYSCI admission and the last day is January 11th (on which day you can take a piece of Gingerbread Lane home with you!)
3. Big Apple Circus: If I had to do pick one thing on this list, I would pick The Big Apple Circus. In fact, it is the one thing I plan on doing every year. Kids and adults will laugh at loud and be mesmerized by the magic, stunts and performers. The Big Apple Circus is a nonprofit that has many community programs, so your ticket purchases support their work with under served populations. The Big Apple Circus will be performing until January 11th, 2015. Check out more reasons to see the Big Apple Circus here.
4. Nutcracker: The New York City Ballet is presenting a beautiful rendition of this classic tale dating back to the 19th century. The show will be on at Lincoln Center until January 3rd.
5. Radio City Christmas Spectacular: A “must-do” list of NYC shows and spectacles would not be complete without The Radio City Christmas Spectacular; a true NY Christmas tradition. You will certainly “ooooh” and “aaahhh” at the beautiful Rockettes; their perfect choreography will make your jaw drop. Adults and kids will enjoy this show will features lots of dancing, music, Santa, NYC sights and a live Nativity scene.
Share with us! What other NYC holiday adventures would you add to this list?