Creamy Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
There are few comfort foods I love as much as homemade macaroni and cheese.
Perhaps it’s the mix of pasta and creamy melted cheese or maybe it’s just the memories I associate with mac ‘n cheese. My kids also love it when I make this dish from a box if I am short on time.
However, nothing delights my family as much when I make this creamy macaroni and cheese recipe from scratch. The effort is so worth it!
This is not meant to be a low fat or fat free recipe. I used heavy cream but you can substitute it for half and half if you want to cut down the fat content.
Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- 1/2 lb or 226 gr of elbow macaroni
- 1 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups of sharp cheddar
- 1 cups of mild cheddar
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375F or 190C. Boil macaroni noodles in about 5-6 cups of water until al dente. Strain macaroni and set aside.
- Melt the butter. Whisk flour into the butter and cook for about 1 min.
- Add in half and half or heavy cream. Continue to stir periodically while on medium high heat. It will thicken when it comes to a boil.
- Fold in cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and sour cream.
- Reduce the heat to low and allow the cheese to melt down into a sauce for about 3 mins.
- Add in the cooked pasta and mix completely.
- Pour mixture into baking dish and top with more shredded cheese.
- Bake about 20 mins until golden brown and bubbly.
More easy pasta recipes