As the summer gives way to fall, we mere mortal parents are in back to school mode. Schedules, after-school activities, homework invade our afternoons and evenings. The end of the summer means shorter days, and for many of us colder weather.
Despite all the hustle and bustle, it is so important to make time for date night. Many times we are so busy caring for others and connecting with our kids, that we forget to connect with our significant others.
Here are some tips to have awesome date night, in a fun and affordable way:
- Put it on your schedule. Whatever you decide, once a week, every two weeks, once a month… if you both put it on your calendar, then you will be less likely to cancel it, and it will be something to look forward to!
- Swap babysitting with a friend. This is a great way to get a date night in, and to help another couple get theirs in! It also saves you a nice buck.
- Go on a double date and split babysitting costs. If you go on a double date (those can be super fun!) you can split the cost of a babysitter with another couple.
- It doesn’t have to be expensive. You can get lost in the streets of your city. Go to a street fair. Check out an art gallery. Check out this list of great date night ideas in New York and San Francisco.
- Recreate a memorable moment: Visit the first place you kissed, the first place you said “I love you” or make the first meal you ever cooked for your amor.
- Take turns planning date night!
- Have a lunch date. One of the most memorable lunches I’ve had with my husband is a lunch date… He surprised me and took me to a beautiful restaurant.
- Ditch the phones. Tell your babysitter to call you only in case of a an emergency… Then turn off social media notifications and put your phone away. Proceed to gaze into each other’s eyes. And talk!
- Surprise your significant other with something he’s always wanted. Even if that might mean having to do something out of your comfort zone.
- Whatever you do, remember to take this time to tell your spouse how much you appreciate him or her and that he or she still makes you get butterflies in your stomach.
What tips do you have to make date night affordable and fun? Share them here!