If you’re looking for a delicious and nutritious snack, look no further than these Healthy Homemade Mango Fruit Roll-Ups. Packed with the sweet and vibrant flavors of fresh mangoes, these fruit roll-ups are not only a treat for your taste buds but also a wholesome choice for both kids and adults. Plus, they are incredibly easy to make at home!
These Healthy Homemade Mango Fruit Roll-Ups are not just a sweet snack; they’re a burst of tropical flavor in every bite. Whether you’re packing them in lunchboxes, taking them on hikes, or munching on them during a Netflix binge, these homemade treats are perfect for any occasion and satisfy your sweet tooth. Plus, mango fruit leather is naturally gluten-free.
If you have extra mangoes that are ripe, this fruit leather recipe is a great way to use fresh fruit before it spoils. You can also use frozen mango.
Remember, making your own fruit roll-ups at home allows you to control the ingredients, avoid added preservatives, and tailor the flavors to your liking. So go ahead, have fun experimenting with different combinations, and enjoy the goodness of these homemade delights. Happy snacking!
Why is this a healthy snack?
This homemade mango fruit roll-up recipe can be considered a healthy snack for several reasons:
1. Whole, Natural Ingredients: This recipe primarily relies on fresh mangoes, honey, and lemon juice. Mangoes are a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, including vitamin C and vitamin A. They provide natural sweetness and flavor without the need for added sugars or artificial ingredients.
2. Minimal Added Sugar: The only sweetener used in this recipe is honey, which not only adds sweetness but also offers potential health benefits. Honey contains antioxidants and has antibacterial properties. Using honey allows you to limit the amount of refined sugar in your snacks.
3. No Artificial Additives: Unlike many commercial fruit snacks, these homemade roll-ups do not contain artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. You have full control over the ingredients, ensuring a clean and wholesome product.
4. Nutrient-Rich: Mangoes are not only delicious but also provide essential nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber. They contribute to your daily intake of vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium, and dietary fiber, which are beneficial for overall health.
5. Portion Control: Making your own fruit roll-ups at home allows you to control portion sizes. You can cut them into appropriate serving sizes to avoid overindulgence.
6. Versatile and Customizable: This recipe is highly adaptable. You can experiment with different fruits, spices, and additional healthy ingredients like nuts, seeds, or yogurt to boost the nutritional content and tailor the flavors to your preferences.
7. No Unnecessary Fats: This recipe is naturally low in fat. While fats are an essential part of a balanced diet, it’s good to have lower-fat options for snacking.
8. Easy to Make: Preparing these roll-ups at home is straightforward and requires minimal effort. When you make snacks from scratch, you have control over the cooking process, ensuring the preservation of nutrients and the avoidance of unhealthy cooking methods.
9. Low Calories: Mangoes are relatively low in calories, making this a snack that provides a satisfying sweetness without a significant calorie load.
These homemade mango fruit roll-ups are a healthier alternative to many store-bought fruit snacks because they contain natural, nutrient-rich ingredients, minimal added sugars, and no artificial additives. They allow you to enjoy the delicious taste of mangoes in a convenient, portion-controlled, and wholesome form. However, as with any snack, moderation is key to maintaining a balanced diet.
What equipment do I need to make homemade mango fruit roll ups?
- High powered blender or food processor
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper or Silicone mat
- Offset spatula
How long does the process take?
In this case, it took me over 6 1/2 hours for my fruit roll ups to fully bake. Ovens vary and the humidity where you live can also affect baking time. My advice is to check at the 3 hour mark and then at 5 hours, If baking is uneven, top with a parchment sheet.
Homemade Mango Fruit Roll-Ups
Prep time: 5 min
Baking time: 3-6.5 hrs
Total time: 4-7 hrs
- 1.5 lbs fresh mango (about 3 mangos)
- 2 tbsp honey
- Juice of half a lemon
- Preheat oven to 170F
- Add mango, lemon juice and honey to blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Line baking sheet with parchment or silicone mat
- Pour purée onto a baking sheet and smooth out with an offset spatula.
- Bake for 4-7 hours.
Make sure your puree is as even as possible when spreading it out or it will cause uneven drying. Pay attention to the center.
Mango roll ups step by step
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
reheat your oven to 170°F (77°C). This low temperature will gently dehydrate the mango puree to create the perfect fruit roll-up texture.
Step 2: Prepare the Mango Puree
- Begin by peeling and removing the flesh from the mangoes. Make sure to discard the pit.
- Cut the mango flesh into chunks to make it easier for your blender or food processor.
- In your blender or food processor, combine the mango chunks, lemon juice, and honey.
Step 3: Blend Until Smooth
Blend the mixture until you achieve a smooth and creamy consistency. The addition of honey and lemon juice not only enhances the sweetness but also helps preserve the vibrant color of the mangoes.
Step 4: Line the Baking Sheet
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. This will prevent the mango puree from sticking to the sheet and make it easier to remove once it’s done drying.
Step 5: Spread the Mango Puree
Pour the mango puree onto the prepared baking sheet. Use an offset spatula to spread it evenly, ensuring it’s about 1/8 inch thick. The uniform thickness will help the roll-ups dry evenly.
Step 6: Bake and Dehydrate
Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 4-7 hours. The time may vary depending on your oven and the thickness of the puree. Keep an eye on it; the roll-ups are ready when they are no longer sticky to the touch but still pliable.
Step 7: Cut and Roll
Once the mango puree has dried to the desired consistency, remove it from the oven and let it cool slightly. Then, use a knife or kitchen scissors to cut the sheet of mango puree into strips. Roll each strip into a delightful mango fruit roll-up.
Step 8: Store and Enjoy
Store your homemade mango fruit roll-ups in an airtight container or wrap them individually in plastic wrap. They can be kept at room temperature for a short time, but for longer storage, place them in the refrigerator. Enjoy your healthy, homemade fruit roll-ups as a snack or on-the-go treat!
These Healthy Homemade Mango Fruit Roll-Ups are not only a fantastic way to enjoy the flavors of ripe mangoes year-round but also a healthier alternative to store-bought fruit snacks. Make a batch and savor the taste of sunshine in every bite!
Easy Recipe Variations
Feel free to get creative with your mango fruit roll-ups! Here are a few ideas to customize your snacks:
- Add Some Spice: Sprinkle a pinch of chili powder or a dash of cayenne pepper on the mango puree before baking for a sweet and spicy kick. The combination of sweet mango and heat is simply irresistible.
- Incorporate Other Fruits: Mix in other fruits like strawberries, peaches, or even pineapple to create unique flavor combinations. Just make sure to adjust the sweetness accordingly by adding more honey if needed.
- Texture Boost: Boost the texture by adding some chopped nuts or seeds to the mango puree. Almonds, chia seeds, or shredded coconut can add a delightful crunch.
- Healthy Herbs: Experiment with fresh herbs like mint or basil. A few finely chopped leaves mixed into the puree can elevate the flavor profile and provide a refreshing twist.
- Yogurt Swirl: For a creamy twist, drizzle a bit of yogurt onto the mango puree before baking. Swirl it in with a toothpick or skewer for a marbled effect.
- Cut Fun Shapes: Instead of simply rolling the fruit puree, use cookie cutters to cut out fun shapes. This is especially appealing for kids and can make snack time more exciting.
Homemade mango fruit roll-ups are not only a healthy snack but also a thoughtful homemade gift. Share these delicious treats with friends and family as a unique and wholesome present. Package them in a cute jar or wrap them in a decorative bag for a personal touch.
How can I keep Homemade Fruit Roll Ups Fresh?
To ensure your mango fruit roll-ups stay fresh, store them in an airtight container or sealable bags. If you’ve added nuts or seeds, refrigeration is a good idea to maintain their crunchiness. However, if you’ve kept the roll-ups plain, they can be stored at room temperature for a short period.