Jennifer Lopez wore a mustard Giambattista Valli gown to the 2016 Golden Globes that didn’t leave anybody indifferent. She looked fab as usual but personally I didn’t love the color of her unconventional gown. JLo’s makeup and hair were flawless and here are all the details to steal her look, without the couture gown.
SEE ALSO: How to get Jennifer Lopez’s Oscars look
Makeup artist Mary Phillips for L’Oréal Paris was extremely inspired by the unusual gown. “If you saw the Giambattista Valli dress, you’ll instantly get old Hollywood glamour with the shape and even the mustardy, marigold color. The cape and the diamonds, it’s perfection. Her skin and that lip color are the hallmarks of this look. It’s very elegant, gorgeous, and beautiful, while still being very modern and today. We’re always experimenting with her looks, and I think that tonight perfectly reflects that, with this classic, old school dose of beauty.”
What about JLo’s nails? L’Oréal Paris Global Manicurist, Tom Bachik said: “because Jennifer’s look was so glamourous, we wanted to keep her nails clean and chic. We chose a deep burgundy red solid nail to compliment the yellow tone of the dress.” Tom filed her nails into a classic round shape and then applied L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Last Nailcolor in Always a Lady ($9.99) to Jennifer’s nails. After they were dry, Tom applied the top coat side of the L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Last Nailcolor. Tip: Tom advises maintaining a manicure using L’Oréal Paris Age Perfect Hydra-Nutrition Facial Oil ($24.99); a drop on each nail 1-2 daily will keep nail color looking fresh and shiny, and cuticles hydrated.
Jennifer Lopez’s makeup step by step
- Mary first applied Armani Prima Eye and Lip Contour Perfector on the upper eye lid and around all around the mouth and lip, as lips should be just as hydrated as skin.
- Next, she created a natural 3D effect by layering sheerer colors of L’Oréal Paris True Match Lumi Cushion Foundation (C5.5 NATURAL TAN, 5.5 Perfect Beige, and W3 Nude Beige — $16.99)
- She used darker shades in the Infallible Pro Contour Palette ($12.99) in 814 Medium along the jawline, underneath the cheek bones, on the temple and hairline of the forehead and along the nose. The highlighter hue was applied to the center of the forehead, nose, directly above the jawline, and underneath the browbone.
- Mary’s self-proclaimed “holy grail” blush, L’Oreal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Blush in Spiced Plum C7-8 ($10.99), was added to the apples of cheeks for a fresh pop of color and extra dimension
- On eyelids, with special attention to browbones, is L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Eyeshadow Mono in 306 ($5.99). Shade 201 is the backdrop color applied in the crease and 205 is added at the center of the upper lid and along the lower lashline.
- She drew a very, very thin line of L’Oréal Paris Infallible Black Velvet Liner ($9.99) on the top lashes only, and concentrated on making the line a little fuller at the ends without “winging out” too much, as that can tend to look costume-y with the rest of the look. Mary finished the liner look by applying L’Oréal Paris Infallible Matte-Matic Liner ($8.99) to the upper and lower lashlines, making sure to get in between lashes to add drama in an understated, “un-heavy” sort of way.
- To achieve long, lush eyelashes that had the perfect hint of depth that wouldn’t compete in any way with the lip, Mary primed and coated lashes using L’Oréal Paris Voluminous Superstar Mascara ($10.99).
- Mary mixed three lip shades, building up colors in different areas, applying darker colors to the outside of the mouth, and then working her way in. She wanted the lips to be dark but not vampy, and also have dimension and not come across as a one-note color. She customized the lip just for Jennifer using L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte Gloss in ROUGE ENVY, NUDE ALLUDE and FORBIDEEN KISS ($9.99) for a very full lip effect, that was neither too wet nor matte.
What did you think of Jennifer Lopez’s 2016 Golden Globes look?
En español: Secretos para maquillarte como Jennifer López